Interview with Mrs. Spellman

 


For the next few posts I will be uploading interviews with three different ESL teachers. Today here is Mrs. Spellman she teaches juniors at Lathrop High.

Me: As an ESL teacher what is one struggle you find when teaching?

Mrs. Spellman: There are many struggles I face teaching ESL, but the #1 struggle is keeping my students motivated and focused on learning, not just in my class, but in all their classes. I have taught levels 3 and 4 for the past 7 years and most of them have been in the US for four years or more.  Some even their whole life.  They have been stuck in the ESL system and they can’t seem to reclassify.  They become unmotivated which keeps them in the system even longer.  I think they get ELD fatigue (don’t know if that’s a term, but it should be).  They don’t put much effort into their work and therefore earn low grades.  I think they fall into a vicious cycle of malaise and failure which creates an even bigger learning gap as they progress through school.  I have yet to strike gold on how to get them ALL to succeed.  

Me: How do you support ESL students who may be struggling to grasp new concepts?

Mrs. Spellman: Reteach, but not the same approach as the first time.  Perhaps it was my method of instruction, perhaps it was the content that they couldn’t access, whatever it was, I just do it again, but differently.  I also try to create a space/class environment where they feel comfortable.  If they feel safe then when they struggle I will know and can help.  They also feel comfortable asking for help. 

Me: Can you describe your biggest success in working with ESL students?

Mrs. Spellman: Reclassification, for me, means I have successfully supported a student and is the biggest success for me.  Our district’s qualifications to reclassify are very rigorous (ELPAC score of 4, GPA of 2.5, C’s in English, MAP score of 226) and I see many students achieve all but one and then are in EL another year.  Helping them qualify to reclassify makes me feel like I have done my job well. 

Me: What is a strategy that works well for you when teaching? Can you explain why this works best?

Mrs. Spellman: Modeling.  I model everything!  What they do, I do.  When a student succeeds or completes a task well, I show the class.  They need to see good examples of everything I ask them do.  They also need to see that when they succeed, I notice.  Also, by me doing what they do I can gauge how difficult it is, or what they may struggle with.  And If I struggle, I let them know.  I am open and honest with them about my learning, my success, and my failures. 

 

 

Comments